Monday, July 26, 2010

What the hell man..

Today, the insurance commissioner called my surgeon about my letter. They said that Group Health would not talk to them without my permission, due to patient privacy policies. I know I am up for a battle with them and it just make me think about the last 20 years where I have been told over and over that I needed this to be done - but every health insurance plan I have ever had has always excluded this surgery from coverage.

It's frustrating for me, to go through this process again and thinking of the "would of/could of" scenarios of the past. I've been here before (20 years ago) and was unable to get to the final end, because of lack of money an lack of support. I am disappointed because of all the obstacles this surgery has, I could not take care of this when I was younger. Then I begin to think of everything I still have to go through and my confidence waivers. Can I really do this? Can I really recover as well as they say I can? I should have done it 20 years ago - does that mean I won't recover as well as I would have then? Does that mean it's too late - or does that mean I THANK GOD I am finally able to make it happen?

UHG, all that being said, I have been not been feeling too well, I'm scared, I'm worried, and my stomach hurts. Then I get scared again...and then a little more worried...kind of a pattern here as you can see!

I was reading the trials and tribulation on Stephanie's blog about her challenges and I so appreciate you sharing with me your experience and ultimately your success...it gives me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

4 comments:

  1. Aw- Brent- Do NOT worry. It is not as hard as it seems. I promise. The light side! Trust me when you come out of that O.R. you are going to be cracking jokes- and already loving your new profile- I was. There is no need to worry. It is like a rocking chair, it keeps you busy, but it gets you no where. However, that being said, I completely understand, I was nervous too. Just try and remind yourself of the end.

    And yes! THANK GOD you can do this... It is going to boost your confidence- and most of all it is going to give you mechanic function... it is going to be AWESOME. So don't worry too much, it is all worth it and I would do it again for the results I got (just so farrr! the swelling isn't even down).

    I know insurance is a pain in the butt- I mean this is necessary, but whatever. Just pray- God will make a way- trust me. :) I will put you up on my prayer board- :)

    Love, Makay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have known people of all ages to recover perfectly and quickly, and also people of all ages to have continual troubles. For instance, I'm only 27 - in theory, the surgery should have been a SNAP for me! But here I am, over a year later, still working on my range of motion and jaw pain.

    Don't give up. There were many times that I wanted to give up, because I was so frustrated - hopefully it will work out for you, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that a positive attitude makes all the difference! Before the surgery I had all the same feelings, I was scared, nervous, anxious, but the day of I told myself 'You got this.' I felt calm and I came out happy and excited for the days ahead when I could start seeing the changes.

    I won't lie, there are tough days, but then there are good days. It's the good days I try to focus on because I know 3 months from now, a year from now, 2 years from now, I will be so happy I went through all this.

    Also, you have to remember that it's different for everyone. Don't let the blogs scare ya! ;)

    As for the insurance stuff I really hope it works out! This surgery was also an exclusion on my parent's plan so we had to pay for it out of pocket :( Although some surgeons will give you a major discount if you pay for it, and also you can recover at a nursing home or similar facility to avoid hospital bills.

    Good luck with everything Brent. I'll be reading.

    -S

    ReplyDelete