Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Big FU

So, my week has been roughed up by the stupid insurance company. I called early on Monday, because I got yet another letter from them that did not contain any further clarity then the others. I got someone on the phone and she essentially said tuff, tuff coco puff. Saturday, I got the letter explaining in more detail why they exclude it from coverage, except for a whopping $1000.00. Well, that may pay for the anesthesiologist! All that being said, I know I am on an up hill fight with the odds stacked way against me, so I got my employer involved. The insurance company keeps saying that this is what your employer has provided and to go to them to modify the policy. Which, by the way, is nearly impossible for a mid-size company like ours. Needless to say, my boss said she will work on it and do the best she can. In the mean time, I need to keep planing for the next step of getting enough money together to take care of the surgery, ug and booo. It just seems wrong to spend so much money on something that will be so uncomfortable for so long. HMMMMM, I just got to keep saying to myself that this is the healthiest choice for my future.

GOODnews is that in the Pacific Northwest it is really hot and we have air conditioning! And, even though I have been without my truck and having to ride my motorcycle for two weeks (because my truck is in the shop having the engine replace) my extended warranty will pay the entire bill for the engine replacement and car rental for 4 days! Sweet!

Okay, that is it for this week. I see the orthodontics in 2 weeks and will begin to work on further surgery quotes, without insurance.

Brent

2 comments:

  1. My insurance covered it- no problem. Have you had a speech test? Have you had breathing tests? Xrays? that was what got me in... Oh, also my doc said not to mention TMJ- or any of that sort of thing because insurance WILL NOT cover anything to help that.

    I hope that you get it covered- but trust me Brent- IT IS SO WORTH IT. Every penny, and every pain. The results are amazing.

    I am sorry about all the trouble. I pray you find light soon... because honestly this is NUTS.

    -makay

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's different with every insurance company so it's really hard to say. I had all the xrays done and written reports from both my surgeon and my orthodontist sent to the insurance company saying how much I needed surgery and they still said 'nope, it's an exclusion.' I swear they hide behind that sometimes.I mean my jaw bone has been eroding for years because of my horrible bite! I've had arthritis in my jaw since I was in middle school. I mean this is really not good stuff....but they didn't care.

    I admire you're perseverance. My parents couldn't take the fight and we ended up paying. To them they said it was like another year of college, and it was.

    Despite my hard days this is still something I have wanted for so long and I am happy i did it, even if I don't always act happy or seem happy. I agree with Makay. Stick with it. Don't give up.

    Everyone's experience is different with this type of surgery but it seems that most people start feeling more like themselves after about 6-9 weeks. That's only 2 months! When I think of the past 8 yrs, how much time I've spent working up to this, well 2 months just doesn't seem that bad.

    Best of luck Brent! I hope it works out in your favor!

    ReplyDelete